I am honoured to serve students, staff, faculty and our community as the President and CEO of Alberta’s newest polytechnic. During my time at NWP, I have held various roles, including Provost and Vice President Academic, Dean, Chairperson, and tenured Faculty member with the Department of Nursing Education & Health Studies. In my current President and CEO role, I provide institutional leadership as well as guidance on NWP’s academic programs, applied research, and student services.
Degrees & Credentials
- PhD (Nursing); Victoria/2021
- MN (Using Technology to Engage the Millennial Nursing Student); Victoria/2015
- BScN; Alberta/2006
Scholarly & Professional Interest
- Institutional theory and undergraduate nursing education
- Engaging learners
- Using technology in the classroom
- Curriculum development
- Academic leadership
- Issues and challenges facing postsecondary education
- Issues and challenges facing undergraduate nursing education in Alberta
- Academic Leadership in Nursing Education
- Patient Oriented Research (POR)
- Engaging Millennial Learners in Nursing Education
- Frisch, N., Atherton, P., Macleaod, M., Doyle-Waters, M., Ward, J., Sheane, V., Woodley, J., & Mallidou, A. (Sept. 2018). Competencies needed for patient involvement in patient-oriented research: report of a scoping review of the literature. Oral presentation presented at the Cochrane Colloquium, Edinburgh, UK.
- Sheane, V. (May, 2018). Exploring institutional theory and nursing education research: a work in progress. Oral presentation presented at the Canadian Association of Schools of Nursing Conference, Montreal, Quebec.
- Sheane, V. & VanTassell, T. (May 2016). Reflection IN Action through High Fidelity Simulation. Poster session presented at the Canadian Association of Schools of Nursing Conference, Toronto, Ontario.
- Sheane, V. (April 2015). Using Technology to Engage the Millennial Nursing Student. Oral session presented at the Scholarship and Faculty Development Conference, Edmonton, Alberta.
- Sheane, V. (May, 2014). Rural Connections through Education. Poster session presented at the Canadian Association of Schools of Nursing Conference, Halifax, Nova Scotia.
- Elliott, S., MacIntyre, D., Rawluk, L., & Sheane, V, (February, 2013). Urban to Rural: The Road Less Travelled. Oral session presented at the Western Region Canadian Association of Schools of Nursing Conference, Edmonton, Alberta.
Professional & Academic Affilliations or Associations
College and Association of Registered Nurses of Alberta: Member in good standing