Skip to main content

Main Menu

Start Your Engineering Career Tuition & Fee Calculator On-Campus Housing

The information on this page is subject to change. We will do our best to ensure the information is updated quickly, but please consult with Student Services for the most up-to-date information.

What Programs are Available to International Students?

Most of our University Transfer programs, Certificates and Diplomas are available to international students. Programs that are not available include Apprenticeship programs and ThinkBIG Service Technician.

University Transfer and Certificate and Diploma Programs

For admission to our programs, some prerequisites must be met by all students, including English Language Proficiency (ELP) requirements. Here you will find details about our programs and the requirements to gain admission, as well as the most up-to-date information on post-graduate work permits. As a public institution, most of our Certificate and Diploma programs are currently eligible for Post-Graduate Work Permit applications if they are eight months or longer.

Selection Criteria

We reserve the right to determine the criteria for selection in all of our programs and courses. General regulations notwithstanding, at our Administration's discretion admission may be refused to an applicant.

When Should I Apply?

Our school operates on a three-semester system: Fall (September to December) and Winter (January to April) and Spring (May to August). Not all programs are available in every intake. Please visit 2022-23 program dates for available intakes.

If you are applying for a study permit, we recommend applying 4-6 months before the start of the semester. You can check the IRCC processing times for your country to determine if you have enough time to receive a study permit before the start of classes.

If you have a valid study permit, we recommend applying before July 30th for the Fall semester and by November 30th for the Winter semester. Applications received after these dates may not be processed in time for admission.

How do I Apply? How Long Will it Take?

Step 1

Complete an online application, pay the $150.00CAD non-refundable application fee, and 1-2 weeks later you will be contacted with instructions on what supporting documents to submit and how to submit them.

Apply Now

Step 2

1-2 weeks after all documents have been provided, if admissible, an offer of admission will be sent to you via email.

Step 3

1-2 weeks after you have accepted the offer and paid the tuition deposit, your Letter of Admission will be issued. This letter can be used to apply for your study permit.

How Much Does it Cost? When and how do I pay?

Admission to a program does not guarantee you a seat in that program. Once you have been admitted, and have shown proof that you have been approved for a study permit, you will be given instructions on how to register in your courses. After you have registered for courses all remaining tuition and fees will be due by the ADD/DROP deadlines for each semester.

Registration for new students opens in May of each year for all semesters, so we strongly recommend that international students apply early, and register as soon as they are eligible to avoid being waitlisted in required classes. Waiting to register until the start of classes may result in students being waitlisted in required classes for their program, and there is no guarantee students will be accepted if the class is full.

What are the Housing Options?

Our campuses offer on-campus housing, and most students choose to live on-campus, so housing can fill up fast. We strongly recommend submitting an online application as soon as you have been admitted to a program.

Do I Need Health Care Coverage?

Yes, all students require health insurance while studying with us and you are responsible for obtaining personal health care coverage. International students must have basic health care coverage from either the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP), health care from another province, or health insurance from a private provider.

Students moving permanently to Alberta from another country or students with a valid study permit may be eligible for the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP).

More About AHCIP

Full-time students in most of our credit programs may be automatically enrolled in, and be required to pay for, the Student Health and Dental Plan, which provides extended health and dental care coverage not covered under AHCIP. The plan can be opted out of if alternate coverage can be proven, and eligibility requirements are met.

More About Eligibility

Contact Us

For more information about becoming an international student at NWP, please contact:

International Education
Office: H205
Phone: 780-539-2014
Web: Visit Homepage