Emergency Preparedness and Response
NWP Emergency Response and Disaster Planning is coordinated with local governments and emergency responders.
When you are new to the NWP community take time to familiarize yourself with the locations of fire and safety equipment and emergency phone numbers.
- Find the fire alarms that are located close to your classrooms and residence.
- Become familiar with locations of fire extinguishers. Instructions for use are labelled on each extinguisher.
- Become aware of entry and exit routes that allow you to quickly escape from buildings in case of an emergency.
Muster areas are located in the college parking lots and on campus grounds and are used as a point of rendezvous by students and staff in case of an emergency. Muster points can be found on all NWP campuses and are identified by a muster area sign. In Grande Prairie the signs have a yellow background. In Fairview the signs have a white background. Notice where the muster points are located for the location you are in.
Notification of fire conditions will be done through the fire alarm system. However, other emergency conditions may be communicated through word of mouth, email, or over the Voice Over IP (VOIP) phones.
- Do not panic! Emergencies that are communicated through the VOIP phones will relay necessary response details.
- Follow directions given by Security, Facilities – Maintenance & Operations, Evacuation Supervisors and external emergency responders.
- The incident is considered over when an “All Clear” is declared.
- If off campus, review NWP email, go to the NWP website or listen to local radio stations for notifications from the College about the emergency taking place.